Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Darkness is Not Eternal




I read this scripture for my devotions yesterday.  Before I could write a post about it, the shooting in Connecticut happened.

I almost didn’t post about it because I don’t have anything wise to say. I’ve read some good things written by some people closer to God than I am and I have nothing to add.

This is the darkness. This is what happens when people find only dark despair. I ache for the mommies and daddies and grandmas and grandpas. Their pain won’t go away. Their children are gone and I pray that God will hold them as they grieve. 

But I do know one thing. 

This horrendous event is the reason Jesus was born. This is why Christmas had to happen.

This is our hope. The darkness will not last forever. A great light will banish the darkness. 

It came in the form of a child. A baby was born into a dark world to destroy the evil.

I don’t know why the evil hasn’t been completely eradicated yet. I don’t know why those parents – and so many others – have suffered such a devastating loss. But I know how the story ends.

The darkness isn’t eternal, but the Kingdom of the Child is.

No comments:

Post a Comment