Monday, July 2, 2012

Me vs. God



If a tree falls in the woods and there’s no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If you’ve never seen a germ, does that mean it doesn’t exist?

If you can’t touch your soul, does that mean you don’t have one?

I know, these are silly questions. But so are the ones in these Romans passages. 

God doesn’t need our sin to show His righteousness or His grace. He is righteous and gracious apart from us or our sin. My sin doesn’t benefit God. There’s no argument we can make in favor of sin, even if it highlights God’s goodness. God stands alone in who He is.

Sin is bad. God is good. 

Saying that my sin benefits Him is not only nonsense, it’s worthy of condemnation. God does not approve sin. Our faith is founded on God’s righteousness and God’s grace, not on man’s sin. 

When I lie, no one compares me to God and says “Now I can see that He is truthful.” My lies don’t glorify God; they only condemn me. God would be truthful whether I lied or not. 

The same logic applies to God’s grace. Because God is gracious He forgives me when I lie - if I repent. But He would be gracious whether I sinned or not and He would be righteous whether I sinned or not. 

So sin is a spot on me, not a decoration for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment