Thursday, January 12, 2012

El Emunah


I did a search for God’s names and found this website: Lilyof the Valley Virginia. It lists the Hebrew names of God in the Old Testament and the verses where they can be found. It would be exciting to do a study of these verses, but for now I just used it to find the name this Psalm is referring to.  

El Emunah – the faithful God. 

It’s used in Deuteronomy 7:9
Understand, therefore, that the LORD your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands. (NLT)

I’m blessed to be a recipient of God’s faithfulness in this regard. I know enough of the history of my family to know that my ancestors have loved Him and obeyed His commands for many generations. Maybe even 1000. A 17 times great-grandfather founded a church in Rhode Island that is still active. Another ancestor was a circuit rider in the old west. The last three generations have been missionaries. These generations are evidence of God’s faithfulness. God has faithfully kept His covenant with my family.

This truth not only humbles me and makes me aware of my responsibility to love and obey Him. It also reminds me of His promises and gives me hope for future generations. I can trust that He will lavish His love on my children and grandchildren, that they also belong to Him because He keeps His covenant with a thousand generations.

With this assurance, I worship and praise Him and I thank Him for keeping His promises, promises that are backed by the honor of His name.

His name is El Emunah. His name is The Faithful God.

No comments:

Post a Comment