Monday, June 11, 2012

Don't Blaspheme God



I grew up believing that the United States is a Christian nation. I discovered how wrong I was when I started working at a large university. There I met Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Baha’i and Pagans. But mostly I met people with no religion. And many of them were hostile to Christianity. So I can agree with the Psalmist when he says God’s enemies blaspheme Him.

The king of Assyria blasphemed God and found out He really does exist and really is Sovereign over all creation. He had conquered other nations who trusted their gods, but they didn’t rescue get rescued from the might of Assyria. The king didn’t know the true God so he didn’t think He was any different from any other god. He made the mistake of underestimating God and classing Him with man-made gods. His army was camped outside Jerusalem when God sent an angel to kill 185,000 of his soldiers. So he broke camp and went home, where his sons assassinated him while he was worshipping his god. (God knows a bit about irony doesn’t He?)

I don’t think I blaspheme God, but what can I learn from this event? 

Do I underestimate God? He’s sovereign and omnipotent and He keeps His promises.

Do I fail to trust Him to protect me and rescue me? I must remember when He has protected me in the past.

Do I make peace with evil for the sake of prosperity? God is my provider.

Do I believe the world offers life, not death? The way of sin always leads to death.

Do I fail to listen to God’s representatives? I must faithfully read the Bible and listen to the teaching of my pastor.

Do I compare God to the gods of the world and doubt God’s power? I should study God’s character and His ways and deeds.

Do I do what I want because I don’t know who God is? Remember He is my savior and Lord and let that motivate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment