Thursday, September 15, 2011

Scripture for the President



The king of Israel was commanded to copy the scroll of the law for himself – make his own copy – and keep it with him all the time. He was to read it every day. I wonder if Saul and David and Solomon did that. I’m pretty sure Ahab didn’t.

Imagine if our president did it. What would happen if the president were required to copy out the Bible before he took office, and then read the whole thing every day? 

He’d learn to fear the Lord by obeying all its instructions and decrees. Just like the kings of Israel, it would prevent him from becoming proud and acting like he’s above the rest of us. It would keep him from turning away from God’s ways. And it would ensure that we would prosper for many generations.

Okay, that’s a lot of copying, and no copy machine allowed. So what if he just copied the ten commandments and read them every day? Or what if he just copied the royal law – love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind?

I love this idea. I know we don’t live in a Christian nation. I actually believe the separation of church and state, as the founders intended it, is a good thing. But I also know that God is sovereign over all leaders and puts them in position. And whether the president is a Christian or not, following God’s ways can only be good for the country, the government and the president himself.

So I’m going to make a copy of the ten commandments for our president. I’ll handwrite it and frame it and mail it to him with a copy of these verses from Deuteronomy. He’ll probably never get it, but who knows? 

And while I’m at it, I’ll pray that God will guide him to follow in God’s ways. It’s the best solution for our country’s problems I can see – and it’s scriptural.

No comments:

Post a Comment