Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tearing my Heart



I know why the rapture didn’t happen on May 21. It’s because God is merciful, compassionate, slow to anger, and filled with unfailing love.

You see, the Day of the Lord is not something to look forward to. It’s a day of judgment and it’s not going to be pretty. He hates sin and will judge it. He hates rebellion and will punish rebels – that’s everyone who hasn’t repented.

But before He judges the world, He’s giving us time to prepare. 

I know that Jesus has already taken my punishment on Himself. But I also know that I still do things that God hates – I still sin. So I need to use the time He’s given me to turn away from sin and to Him. Now is the time for fasting, weeping, and mourning over my sin. 

When the Jews mourned, they put ashes on their heads and tore their robes. I need to tear my heart instead of tearing my garments. My mourning should be heart deep, not just on the surface. Most of the time I take my sin pretty lightly; most of the time I’m not conscious of how much God hates it. But when I read the scripture, I see it. He hates it so much He died to remove it.

We Christians walk a narrow path between God’s grace on one side and trying to please God on the other.  We know we’re saved and don’t have to try to earn God’s favor by not sinning. But we want to please Him by not sinning. I think passages like this one in Joel are reminders that even though we’ve been saved, every sin we commit is hateful.

God has already sent me a blessing instead of a curse. But He wants my broken heart so I can worship Him fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment