Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Real Princess



What’s more valuable than gold or silver?

Me

All the gold and silver in the world couldn’t purchase my freedom from an empty life. Instead, my Heavenly father ransomed me with the blood of His Son.

One of my favorite children’s books is The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Sarah is a little girl whose father sends her from her home in India to a boarding school in England. While she’s there, he dies and the owner of the school makes her into a servant because there’s no one to pay her tuition and she no longer has a home. Her life is pretty miserable, but she gets through it by imagining she’s a princess in disguise. Eventually a friend of her father’s rescues her and brings her imagined world to life.

I’m an adult living in my own home. But I’m also a princess living in a foreign land. Unlike Sarah, my Father isn’t dead. In fact, He’s already rescued me. He has sent my ransom and I’m just waiting for Him to come take me home. 

Another difference between me and Sarah is that I’m not an only child. My Father has many children and we’re all exiles in this foreign land. We’re waiting together for Him to come get us; we have each other to rely on. It’s comforting to have brothers and sisters to love 

When I got homesick at boarding school, I pretended I was a princess. My fantasy was that my parents would drive up to the school and take me home. But when my imagination wasn’t enough to comfort me, I had my sisters and brother to turn to. I was blessed to never be completely alone. And when my parents did come to get me, they came for them too. 

As valuable as I am to God, I’m not His favorite. He has lots of children, but no favorites. 

So . . . what’s more valuable than gold or silver?

My brothers and sisters in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment