Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shriveled Wineskin

Psalm 119:65-83

I’m an introvert, which means I keep my emotions to myself. That’s not always a good thing because I can get pretty worn out by my feelings. When I’m tired, they drain me even faster. Like the Psalmist, I sometimes feel that I’m shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke.

But God’s Word revives me. It’s full of promises that God always keeps. His unfailing love comforts me and He surrounds me with His tender mercies. When I’m worn out, my hope is in His word. I read scripture like a thirsty man digging ditches in the hot sun drinks water. I drain it down and reach for more.

The funny thing is that when I fill up with the Word, it doesn’t just comfort me. It energizes me to action. It tells me what pleases God and orders me to do it. When I put my hope in God’s Word, He gives me the good sense to obey it.

He teaches me good judgment and knowledge.
He teaches me His decrees.
He gives me the good sense to follow His commands.

Then

I obey His commandments with all my heart.
I delight in His instructions.
I pay attention to His decrees.
I concentrate on His commandments.
I blamelessly keep His decrees.

And even though I’m an introvert, the joy of it is that I’m not doing it by myself. When I follow His Word, I’m united with all who fear Him. I’m part of the Body of Christ.

When I obey His commands and He fills me up like a new wineskin, I pray that other believers will find a cause for joy in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment