Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Buying Gold



There are a lot of ads for gold on TV and radio. The people selling it are trying to convince the rest of us that gold is the solution to our financial insecurity. But God tells us to buy gold from Him. When I think of gold, I think of doubloons or other gold coins, and then I wonder, how can you buy gold when it is the currency you use to buy other things? The answer, of course, is that you need a different currency to buy gold. In our economy, we use paper money to buy it. In God’s economy, the currency is Jesus’ blood which is available to me by faith.

I’m really afraid I’m like the church God is talking to in this passage. It’s the lukewarm church; the one that’s neither hot nor cold. I’m complacent in my faith and think I have everything I need. I think I’m rich, and can’t see that I’m really wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked. I think I’m pleasing God, but I’m in danger of having Him spit me out.

But God is compassionate and tells me to buy gold from Him, so I can get the things I need. His gold is purified by fire. It’s what lasts. Some of the golden things in the Bible that last include God’s:

covenant with His people
blessings on His people
love for Israel
Word
justice
salvation
kingdom
and, of course, eternal life.

These are the things available to me when I have God’s gold. 

By faith, God invites me to buy white garments so I won’t be shamed by my nakedness. His blood washes away my sin and clothes me with a robe of righteousness.

By faith, God invites me to buy ointment for my eyes. I’m blind and need His help to see my wretchedness.

Once I’m properly clothed and no longer blind, I’ll invite Jesus in for supper. We’ll talk about the victory we’re going to share when I sit on the throne with Him. 

How can I be complacent when I’ve got that to look forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment