Monday, August 22, 2011

The Family of Faith

Galatians 6:9-10

Last Friday my daughter and grandchildren were in a near head-on collision. The kids are okay, but Eryn shattered her femur, among other things. It'll be at least six weeks before she can walk again. I'm very thankful that God protected her and the children. But in an instant, I went from being semi-retired to being a babysitter, housekeeper, cook and chauffer. I'm glad I live close enough to do these things for her and Chris (so he can be with her in the hospital), but frankly, I'm tired. And it's only been three days.

That's why this verse came to mind. I know they're going to need me for a long time and I think it may be easy to grow tired of doing good. I love Eryn and her family and I'm very happy to help them in any way they need me. I'm not complaining, just bracing myself for the long haul. I know it's going to be a lot harder for them.

By God's grace, some wonderful people are serving as examples to me in this. Wayne has spent a lot of time at the hospital, just keeping his girl company and letting her know she's loved. He's also kept friends and family up to date, gone grocery shopping and played games with the kids. Our pastor and several friends from church stayed at the hospital for hours to make sure we all had what we needed and especially that the kids were okay so Chris could be with Eryn. People are offering to do anything we need, including child care and preparing meals. And so many friends and family have been praying constantly for us.

I'm humbled to belong to such a loving family of faith who do not grow weary in doing good. I know that I am not going to carry this burden alone and I pray that God will help me follow their example.



No comments:

Post a Comment