Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Glorious Destiny



When someone has a close encounter with death, and yet survives, people say, “God spared him/her because He has plans for him/her.” It may be true, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to do impressive things by the world’s standards. My son hasn’t written the great American novel (yet), but he’s being a wonderful, supportive and loving husband. My daughter may never be the Secretary of Education, but she’s a fantastic wife and mother.

I think this passage points out that God’s plans are always for the purpose of His honor. 

Nebuchadnezzar’s mind was puffed up with arrogance. God gave him power and God took it away by literally driving him insane. Then Belshazzar who succeeded him, defiled God’s utensils by using them to toast idols. He should have known better because he knew what had happened to Nebuchadnezzar, so God wrote his judgment on the wall.

That’s what not to do. What God wants is for me to honor Him who gives me the breath of life and controls my destiny.

Psalm 73:23-25 says:

 Yet I still belong to you;
      you hold my right hand.
 You guide me with your counsel,
      leading me to a glorious destiny.
 Whom have I in heaven but you?
      I desire you more than anything on earth.

I think the destiny God has planned for me is to honor Him. It is His plan for me to love Him, and only Him. He wants me to recognize that there is no one else, nothing else but Him. When I realize that, I will want Him more than anything on earth because nothing on earth will hold any value to me.

C.S. Lewis said, "God can't give us peace and happiness apart from Himself because there is no such thing." 

So I can be like Belshazzar and use the things of God, including the breath He gave me, to look for something that doesn’t exist, or I can honor God with every breath by loving Him alone.  If I honor God, I’ll get what I wanted in the first place.

That’s what I call a glorious destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment