Thursday, August 25, 2011

Freedom


 
Right now, with Eryn unable to do much for herself, and my time filled with caring for her family instead of living the retired life I’ve come to enjoy, a post about freedom seems out of place. But I’m committed to hearing the message God has for me in the scriptures He brings to my attention. This scripture speaks to me about freedom.

God’s will is for me to obey His law. Within that law, I have the freedom to choose how I live. I’m free to serve Him, obey Him, love Him, and do the same for others.

I’m also free to live outside His law, but then I will sin and the consequences are not pretty.

David despised the word of the Lord when he sinned. He knew the commandments against adultery and murder, as well as coveting and bearing false witness. But when he decided to go after what he wanted, the sins piled up on top of each other. 

God’s word doesn’t just contain the laws of God, it tells us what is pleasing to Him. I don’t think anyone knew that better than David. You see his love for the law in the Psalms he wrote. I haven’t researched when he wrote which ones, so I don’t know if his love came before or after his great sin. But either way, at that time he despised it.

David had the freedom to choose to please God by following His law or to despise it and disobey it. But God expected obedience, and just because he was king didn’t mean he could ignore the One who put him on the throne.

My circumstances are different, now and in my past and future. But God has put me where I am and He expects me to obey Him. I have the same choice David had, and it doesn’t matter if I’m in control or feeling helpless. Either way, I can use my freedom to please God or despise Him.

I want to please God. I’m grateful for David’s example and pray it will help me to avoid despising God’s law. I’m also grateful for David’s comforting, encouraging and admonishing words in the Psalms.

Reverence for the Lord is pure,
      lasting forever.
   The laws of the Lord are true;
      each one is fair.
  They are more desirable than gold,
      even the finest gold.
   They are sweeter than honey,
      even honey dripping from the comb.
  They are a warning to your servant,
      a great reward for those who obey them.
Psalm 19:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment