Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Eternity At Stake



I am blessed with such a rich heritage. Generations of missionaries on one side. Generations of pastors on the other. I believe this heritage gives me an awesome responsibility to love and serve God.  Jesus said that much is required of those to whom much has been given.

Solomon had that responsibility too. After all, he was David’s son and heir. He was blessed to receive really good advice from his father when he was getting ready to ascend the throne.

Obey all God’s commands carefully.

Okay, this isn’t new advice. Every Christian should obey God’s commands. But let’s look at it from the viewpoint of an heir. The king was responsible for the whole land. He had to be a good steward so he could leave it to his children.

Like Solomon, I have an inheritance that I’m responsible for, a spiritual heritage that I will leave to my children and grandchildren. I must guard it and care for it.

So what is this heritage?

Knowledge from childhood about Jesus, His love and salvation
Love for the Word
Knowing how to pray
The importance of the Church
A loving and supportive family
Hope for the future

But to continue to possess His gifts, I have to obey His commands. I’ll lose them if I don’t take care and then I won’t be able to pass them on to the next generations. Disobedience leaves me in danger of throwing them away or losing them.

So I must follow David’s advice to his son Solomon. Learn to know God intimately and worship and serve Him with your whole heart and willing mind. Obedience is mental and emotional, and I should do both with all I’ve got.

Another way to look at it is that God knows my every thought and plan. If I seek Him, I’ll find Him. If I forsake Him, He’ll reject me – forever.

It’s not just my heritage and the gifts of God that are at stake here. It’s God Himself. Obedience to God’s commands is how I worship and serve God with my whole heart and mind. Either I continually look for Him or I’ll drift away from Him and lose Him – and His gifts.

Eternity is at stake here.

No comments:

Post a Comment