Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Name of God



My given name is Phyllis. When I choose to use it, it identifies me. It’s a tag. There are others with my name, so it isn’t unique to me. It means green leaf, but that only matters because I made it matter. (Any guesses about the significance of the design and verse of this blog?) My parents didn’t know what it meant when they named me. They chose it because they liked the way it sounded.

What does it mean to honor God for the glory of His name? His name is “I am.” His name is who He is. His name is His self.

The meaning of God’s name matters because it is Him. It’s not just a tag. It tells us who He is. He is self-existent. No one named Him because no one made Him. He just is.

According to dictionary.com, glory means very great praise, a source of honor, fame, or admiration or adoring praise. God’s name is a source of admiration and deserves very great praise.

Honor means high respect. Since God’s name is His character, respecting His name means respecting Him. The Jews don’t say His name. It’s too holy. I toss it around to show I’m intimate with Him, but I should be more careful to show respect.

So essentially, honoring God’s name is the same as worshiping Him. It means to admire, praise and respect Him.

The great thing about focusing on His name is that the Bible gives us lots of names for Him and that helps me see different aspects of Him. It helps me understand Him better.

To start with He’s : Lord, Provider, Bread of Life, Good Shepherd, Living Water, Suffering Servant, the Door, Savior, Sanctifier.

Here’s a longer list of His names: http://www.smilegodlovesyou.org/names.html

No comments:

Post a Comment