Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Accountability


 
When I read The Pleasures of God by John Piper, I encountered an idea that was strange to me. One passage in the book describes some recently discovered deep sea life. He suggested that God made it and many other things, solely for His own pleasure. It didn’t matter if men ever saw it, because He didn’t make it for us. 

It’s hard for me to think about God apart from His relationship with me or other people, but this verse shows that Piper was right. God has secrets no one knows. 

Then it goes one step further and tells me I’m not accountable for them. In other words, I don’t need to know them, I don’t need to explain them, and maybe I don’t even need to think about them.

Of course, there are plenty of interesting questions about God and His creation that we like to talk about. Who were the Nephilim? Will the rapture happen before or after the tribulation (if it happens at all)? What did Jesus write in the dirt in front of the accusers of the woman caught in adultery? Discussing obscure things is interesting, but not essential. 

On the other hand, God has revealed some things that I am accountable for.

God’s command to His people in Deuteronomy 11:18-20 reminds me that I should know what his instructions are and teach them to my children. He wants me to obey all of them, always and fully.

In order to know them, I need to read my Bible frequently, thoughtfully and prayerfully. I need to go to church and listen to the teaching that’s offered there. I shouldn’t check out mentally because I think I’ve heard it before.

I also need to read good books. I can learn more about God from both fiction and non-fiction, as long as the book’s themes are based on God’s truths.

I should talk about Him with other believers. When we spend time together, our talk naturally turns to Him. Sharing my experiences and what I’ve learned from God, and hearing the same from others is a rewarding way to deepen my understanding. 

It’s seems so simple, but I don’t live in a world that’s completely set apart for Him. There are plenty of things that distract me. In fact, the week I spent at our family reunion was a perfect time to get closer to the Lord, sort of like camp. We talked about Him, shared testimonies, sang and just shut out the world. And yet, I so enjoyed being with the others that I skipped my quiet time. And I still faced temptations to be selfish or crabby. 

So I don’t have to worry about the things God hasn’t revealed. I have plenty of work keeping track of the things He has revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment