Friday, July 22, 2011

A Mess of Pottage


Two things I know are that I want to see the Lord and I want His blessing. What I don’t want is to trade my birthright for immediate satisfaction.

So, even though I know I’m saved (my confidence rests in what God has done, not in me), I need to examine myself regularly to see if I’m bearing bitter or sweet fruit. 

Both of these passages are talking to believers. If they could become corrupt and unbelieving, so could I. Titus is talking about people who have added to the gospel, insisting that Christians must be circumcised to be saved. The Hebrews audience was probably a mixture of Jewish and Gentile Christians and it sounds like they were having a bit of problem with each other.

I need to ask myself, what things I add to the gospel, especially things I require of other believers. Are there doctrines or actions I think they should follow that interfere with my love for them? Because I have the advantage of being taught the Bible my whole life, I’ve sometimes had a “holier than thou” attitude. And I know I have judged others for the way they live, the things they do. What I have to guard against is claiming to know God but denying Him by the way I live. In fact the Hebrews passage says I must work at living a holy life. In spite of my upbringing, it doesn’t come naturally to me. I can’t rest on my salvation, but have to keep making an effort.

Do I claim to know God but allow myself to live in conflict with others? I ask God to remove bitterness before it takes root.

Do I take the time to look for the needs of others and try to meet them? I ask God to give me eyes to see and a heart to care and hands to do, instead of indulging my desires.

I don’t want to be like Esau and trade God’s blessing for one moment of self indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment