Friday, July 29, 2011

Help Me Trust


 
When I was learning to be a small group trainer, one of the hardest lessons for me was that you can’t do it by yourself. I tend to plunge forward with my ideas and plans without asking for help or checking with others who should have input.

I do that a lot with my Christian walk too. This passage is a reminder that I need the help of other Christians to keep trusting God.

The Israelites didn’t trust God and it made Him angry with them. Two specific instances are referred to in this passage. They were thirsty and they didn’t trust Him to provide water. And when they reached the promised land, they refused to go in because they were afraid and didn’t trust God to protect them. 

God had brought them out of slavery by sending ten awful plagues on the Egyptians. Then He opened the Red Sea so they could cross it and let the waters drown the Egyptians afterward. He guided them with a cloud and a pillar of fire, and dropped manna and quail on them out of the sky. But they were thirsty now; they faced giants now. They had a “what have you done for me lately?” attitude.

Their sin was to forget God’s goodness and they failed to trust Him because of current suffering and fear of the future.

God has done amazing things for me too, but sin will deceive me into forgetting. So I need help remembering, daily warnings from other believers not to forget.

I need to trust as firmly now as I did at the beginning and to continue trusting to the end.

You can help. When you talk to me, or write to me, or post on my Facebook wall, please remind me what God has done for me. If you don’t know the specifics, ask me to tell you. I love talking about His miraculous intervention in my life. And I’ll do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment