Wednesday, July 13, 2011

His Sheep


It’s fun to take two passages and put them side by side to see how they complement each other. These two are old favorites. But I’m a little nervous about what I’ve done here, because in a way I’ve rewritten scripture. I’ve taken some of Jesus’ words, personalized them and slipped them into the Psalm. It reminds me, not only that Jesus is the Shepherd, but that He is the One who cares for me in all the circumstances described by the Psalm.

The Lord is my shepherd;
I recognize his voice and come to him.
He calls me by name and leads me beside peaceful streams.
I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; I will come and go freely and will find good pastures.
He walks ahead of me, and I follow him because I know his voice.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
I come in through you and I am saved.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You sacrifice your life for me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life.
You give me a rich and satisfying life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

He chose me.
He saves me.
He knows my name.
He protects me.
He leads me through the wilderness.
He refreshes me.
No other god has done what He has.
I am a witness that He is God and there is no other.

What a blessing to be His sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment